Winter, it is a love, hate relationship.
We love winter because we can layer the fashion and we hate winter because it turns our skin into a flaky mess!
You are all going to relate to this… You apply your lipstick or gloss and in 30minutes to an hour the shade cracks, flakes and generally looks like you have food scraps on your face, slight exaggeration?
Maybe just like skin, the lips need exfoliation and moisture for a smooth base for makeup application.
Below are some tips from make up artist, Rowena Maree, Face Plus Medispa on making your favourite winter lips shade, last the distance:
• With a wet face washer lightly rub your lips in a circular motion, this is great to do in the shower after the steam has helped to soften the skin. Another option is to use your tooth brush to brush your lips. Both these actions help to remove dry flaky skin and help create a smooth base for lip products.
• After exfoliating, you need to hydrate the lips with a soothing lip balm.
• Change of season and winter can really dry out the skin and lips, so make sure to drink lots of water and use hydrating skin and lip products.
Dark berry tones and a simple winged eyeliner are perfect for winter lips.
Once you’ve prepped your lips, why don’t you try the “ombre” lip? Here are the easy steps you can follow:
• Line the lips using a dark Burgundy lip liner and colour in the outer corners of the lips, leaving a small section in the centre of the lips bare.
• Apply a red lipstick a few shades lighter than the lip liner in the section you have left bare. Rub lips together to slightly blend.
• Fix up the edges around the lips if they need it using a concealer that matches your skin tone. It gives a nice crisp lip line.
• Highlight the Cupids Bow using the Curtis Collection Radiant Glow Illuminator. You can use a small brush to apply a small amount along the lip line.
“Creating the darker edges on the lips with a lighter centre, and highlighting the cupids bow makes the lips look full and voluminous.
Using matte lipsticks tend to have more staying power, but using a lip liner underneath any lipstick will definitely help it to last throughout the day” says, Rowena Maree, Face Plus Medispa, Bondi Beach.
Victoria Curtis, Velvet Lip Liner, Plum Wine – $29
Victoria Curtis, Lipstick, Red Hot – $33
Victoria Curtis, Radiant Glow Illuminator – $45
Victoria Curtis, Mineral illuminating highlight pen – $45
To make an appointment with our experienced #GlamSquad:
Rowena + Caterina
Bondi Beach: 02 8897 0077
Email: [email protected]
For more information on our makeup services click here.