The word ‘wellness’ is having a real moment in health and wellbeing circles.
Chances are you have heard the word dropped into casual conversations in your gym or when buying your acai bowl. But what actually is wellness?
The definition of wellness is a healthy balance of the mind, body and spirit.
So with that in mind, wellness is actually far more than the food you eat and how often you exercise.
While these two components of health and wellbeing are important in the grand scheme of wellness, they are NOT the only things to think about – which is where a lot of health circles and “fitspo” pages tend to fall short.
I describe wellness to my clients as when your physical and mental health align. It is all well and good if you are training every day and drinking your green smoothies – but if you are only getting 3 hours of sleep a night, spend the day in shallow breathing because you are so stressed, if you hate your job and don’t feel you have a purpose, and all of your relationships are challenging – then all the kale salads and ab selfies in the world aren’t going to make you feel 100% aligned in your health and wellbeing.
To feel truly well on all levels, here are some lifestyle areas for you to review:
- Sleep: are you getting between 7-9 hours and waking up feeling energised and excited for the day?
- Stress: Are you constantly on edge, jittery, or thinking about something ‘bad’ happening? Read about stress management techniques here
- Career: Do you feel like you are contributing to something greater than yourself? Most importantly, do you love your job?
- Relationships: Are your relationships easy, balanced and inspiring, or draining and demanding?
- Self love: Do you make time to rest and just ‘be’? Do you have hobbies you regularly engage in? Read more about self love here
- Nutrition: Do you eat because you love to nourish your body, or out of fear of putting on weight?
- Exercise: Do you train because you love the way it makes you feel, or because if you don’t you will feel guilty?
- Mental Health: Is there someone you speak to about your challenges, stressors, moods, etc.?
Sit down and have a real think about the state of your wellbeing in ALL areas – too often we are focused on food and exercise with little review into the other lifestyle areas that make up a HUGE component of our lives.
Remember your mental health is just as important as your physical health, if not more so.
If you would like to speak to our wellness expert about preparing a lifestyle plan that will align wellness in ALL areas of your life, contact details below to reserve your appointment today.