I have made a promise to myself this year to limit my coffee intake to one small cappuccino a day.
I did this because I began to notice the dehydrating effects the caffeine and milk combination was having on my body. After finishing my morning coffee, I always find my mouth is parched.
I’ve been reading a lot lately on science of the body and a big lesson they teach you is the listen to what your body is trying to tell you. If you have a headache for instance, don’t just fix it with a pill, stop and think what could have caused it to occur in the first place.
Dehydration is one of the leading causes for headaches, loss of focus and general irritability.
While we all know we should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day, sometimes it’s easier said than done. Since my coffee restrictions have been in place I’ve been substituting my afternoon cap for a herbal tea.
I’ve noticed that it’s a warming and comforting way to stay hydrated and receive some added antioxidants. I now have a varie-tea (see what I did there) of tea on my desk to compliment whatever mood or craving I’m having.
Here is a brief list of some health benefits associated with a range of popular herbal teas. Make sure you opt for a natural brand with no additives or sugar to really reap the health benefits.
- Naturally rich in caffeine so a great coffee alternative if you suffer from an afternoon slump
- High in antioxidants
- It burns fat, so great if you’re trying to get in shape
- Prevents tooth decay and assists in bad breath
- Re-hydrates you better than water
- Great for digestion, a good one to have after your lunch
- Helps to alleviate migraines and nausea
- Relieves stress
- Fights Asma symptoms (decongestant)
- Warms circulation
- Regulates glucose metabolism
- Fights viruses
- Lowers cholesterol
- Naturally caffeine free
- Assists to calm skin irritations
- Contains cancer fighting properties
- Relieves nausea, diarrhea, indigestion and cramping (great for travelling if you suffer from motion sickness)
- Great for treating sleep and stomach problems
Drinking sugar and dairy free herbal tea is a great way to detox your body and enjoy some immunity benefits at the same time. That sounds beau-tea-ful to me.