Dark discolouration of the skin under the eyes is mainly referred to as dark circles, dark rings or shadows.
There are a variety of causes but the main causes behind dark circles are heredity, unhealthy skin, mental or physical stress, lack of sleep and an unhealthy diet.
Dark circles are not a serious skin issue, but people do appear tired, unhealthy, exhausted and sometimes older!
Previously, we shared make up tips and tricks to cover pigmentation (Check out our Pigmentation Blog), there is also cosmetic injectable option for dark circles-
This female patient had treated her tear troughs with an injectable filler to lift the area, therefore lifting the shadowing around her eyes.
Here are our top five at home remedies for dark circles:
* Cucumber: Cucumbers contain skin lightening and shrinking properties. They have an immediate soothing and refreshing effect.
Start by slicing the cucumber (1cm) and placing them in the refrigerator for 30minutes. Place the chilled slices on to the dark circles for 10minutes, and then wash the area with water.
Twice daily for a week should help alleviate the pressure and allow the circles to fade.
* Potato: Potatoes contain natural bleaching properties that assist in lightening the dark circles and remove puffiness.
You can use just the juice of the potato or slices. Juice: Grate two raw potatoes and squeeze the juice. Soak cotton pads in the juice and place it over the dark area, leave this on for about 10 to 15minutes.
Slices: Cut thick potato slices and place over the dark area for about 10 to 15minutes.
Both techniques repeated twice daily for 2 to 3weeks will assist in removing dark circles.
* Tomato + lemon juice: Tomatoes and vitamin C present in lemons have bleaching properties that can assist in lightening the skin, tomato or lemon juice alone will also work.
This remedy can be repeated twice a day for a few weeks. Mix one teaspoon of fresh tomato juice and half a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Tap this mixture gently onto the dark circles, after 10minutes rinse off with water.
* Extra Virgin Coconut oil: Simply massaging some Coconut oil under the eye area and leaving for a few hours will promote smooth skin and prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
This technique can be repeated two to three times daily for a few months or until you are happy with your results. Don’t forget to wash it off!
* Green tea bags: When using this technique, please be careful not to get tea into your eyes! The caffeine and antioxidants found in green tea bags assist in lightening dark circles, reduce puffiness under the eyes by shrinking blood vessels and reducing the fluid retention.
Wet a teabag for each of your eyes and place them in the refrigerator to chill for 30minutes. For 10 to 15minutes place the bags over your eyes, as you remove the bags wash your face. Repeat twice daily for 2 to 3weeks and this will help decrease the swelling and discolouration.
For a cosmetic consultation and treatment options call:
Bondi Beach: 02 8897 0077
Bondi Junction: 02 9386 4411
Bankstown: 02 9796 7007
For more information on our makeup services click here.